Slip And Fall Attorney
Slip-and-fall accidents can be very painful and may result in lasting health issues. What started as an ordinary day can quickly turn into an ordeal of emergency medical treatment, hospital bills, pain, and problems getting the compensation to pay your bills. At Bubalo Law PLC, we understand how a serious slip-and-fall injury can create havoc in your life and leave you in chronic pain. If you are in Kentucky, we are committed to helping you seek the compensation you need to pay your bills and support your family during this challenging time.
Experienced Slip-and-Fall Accident Attorneys
With national recognition from publications such as Super Lawyers, our attorneys at Bubalo Law PLC have the knowledge and experience to press your case for full compensation. Property owners have a responsibility to maintain their premises in a safe condition to prevent foreseeable accidents. We can investigate how your injury occurred and help you develop your claim if appropriate. If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident on another’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Let us help.
Contact the slip-and-fall injury attorneys at Bubalo Law PLC for a free consultation. Contact us online today.
How Our Attorneys Help With Slip-And-Fall Cases
If you’ve been hurt in a slip-and-fall accident, our attorneys can help you build a claim. Slip-and-fall accident claims are built based on the details of the accident. Our attorneys will start to work promptly investigating your accident. Our attorneys can:
- Investigate the accident and determine how it occurred. Slip-and-fall claims may seem like they should be straightforward, but there may be factors that add to the complexity of the claim. You will need to prove how the accident took place, who was responsible, your reason for being on the property, how you were injured, and how your injuries will affect you in the future. Slip-and-fall negligence cases are pretty common, but to avoid that the opposite party gets away with it, our attorneys will move quickly to document the hazardous condition, interview witnesses, and handle all the paperwork to build the best claim possible.
- Review relevant laws that apply to your claim. A slip-and-fall claim entails many different types of laws and regulations, including building codes, city ordinances, and what legal duty the person who caused the accident owed to the person injured.
- Negotiate for a full and fair settlement. Insurers representing the property owner will try to pay the least amount possible to settle an injury claim. To get full compensation, your claim will need to be supported by solid evidence. Our attorneys will gather evidence to prove your injury and the other side’s responsibility.
- Proceed to trial if necessary. Our attorneys are skilled negotiators and are successful in settling most slip-and-fall claims. If the insurer refuses to agree to a fair settlement, we’ll fight for you every step of the way. The attorneys at Bubalo Law PLC are skilled trial attorneys and we will put our extensive trial experience to work on your behalf.
What Do You Have to Prove For a Slip-And-Fall Lawsuit?
There are many elements in a slip-and-fall claim. The claim will depend upon the circumstances of the accident, for example, whether it occurred in a commercial setting or in someone’s home. However, in general for slip-and-fall cases, you’ll need to prove:
- The defendant had a duty to maintain the premises and prevent harm to the victim. Many parties may be involved with the upkeep and care of a building. The defendant may be the owner of the building, a maintenance company tasked with upkeep or an individual.
- The defendant breached their duty. When a property owner or maintenance group fails to perform necessary maintenance, they have breached their duty. For example, you go to a grocery store and slip on water that has been on the floor for hours. In that case, you could make the claim that the grocery store owners had a duty to inspect the premises regularly for spills and they failed to do so. They breached their duty to keep the premises in safe condition.
- The breach of duty caused your injuries, and your injuries were foreseeable. If you slipped and fell in water on a grocery store floor, you can argue that the water directly caused your injury because if the water wasn’t there, you would not have slipped. You can make the case that someone slipping and falling due to water on a slick floor is completely foreseeable.
- You suffered damages as a result. When you fell, you suffered physical injuries that required medical treatment. It is important to receive prompt medical care after a slip-and-fall accident. You incurred medical costs that you would not have had except for the property owner’s negligence in cleaning up the wet floor.
At every step of the process, you’ll need to document everything from the defendant’s responsibility to the nature of your injuries. An attorney can review your case and work with you to obtain the compensation you need.
There are many ways to recover after a slip-and-fall accident. These include:
- Medical treatment after the accident and future medical care related to your injuries. Slip-and-fall accidents can have serious consequences that can require long-lasting care. A slip-and-fall claim can include the cost of your treatment and any rehabilitation or physical treatment in the future.
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity in the future. Slip-and-fall accidents can leave you hurting. You may be out of work for days, months, and in some cases years. If you were harmed in a slip-and-fall accident, you may be able to recover the wages you’ve lost and will lose in the future due to the accident.
- Pain and suffering damages. Slip-and-fall accidents can lead to lasting physical and emotional harm. You may be able to recover for the emotional damage that an accident caused. Depression, anxiety, insomnia, and many other problems can result from an accident. These and other forms of compensation may be available. An attorney can review the facts of your case and help determine what options may be available.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Rights After a Slip-And-Fall Accident
A slip-and-fall accident can leave you dazed and injured. After an accident, you need to take steps to preserve the evidence that you may need to prove your injury claim. The following tips are helpful if you are hurt in a slip-and-fall accident:
- Get medical attention. If you are hurt, get prompt medical treatment. If necessary, call emergency medical services. If you are injured but still capable of moving normally, you should still get a medical evaluation. Some injuries may not show up for hours. A medical evaluation will help you get ahead of your injuries. It will create a detailed medical record of your injuries that will help with your claim.
- Report the accident. Report the accident to the owner or manager of the property. This will put them on notice that an accident has taken place and they will begin to coordinate with their insurer. Provide a summary of the accident and stick to the facts. Don’t blame the property owner, but do let them know the facts of what happened.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you are able, take photos of the accident scene immediately after the accident. These photos will show important information about the accident scene including lighting, weather, floor conditions, and any other hazards such as items you could have tripped over. Accident scenes can change quickly and property hazards can be repaired. The more you can capture about the scene at the time of the accident, the better.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. If you receive medical treatment for your injuries, be sure to follow the doctor’s orders. In a slip-and-fall claim, you’ll need to prove that your injuries required extensive treatment and that you have done everything required.
- Do not wash or throw away shoes and clothes. Your clothes may provide important information about your claim. If you’re involved in a slip-and-fall claim, don’t dispose of them after an accident even if they’re ruined.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney to discuss the appropriate steps to take. The process will move fast, and you may start receiving calls from insurers and other parties. An attorney can manage the claims process for you.
How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit After a Slip-And-Fall Accident?
Each state has statutes of limitations that establish how much time you have to bring a personal injury lawsuit. Every state is different, and if you have questions, an experienced premises liability attorney at Bubalo Law PLC can review your case and let you know how much time you have to file a lawsuit.
In Kentucky, you have one year from the time of the slip-and-fall accident to bring a lawsuit for your injuries.
Slip-and-fall accidents take time to investigate, so if you’re injured, contact an attorney as soon as you can.
That allows the attorney to start to work investigating your claim and preserving evidence from the scene of the slip-and-fall accident.
Experienced Slip-and-Fall Attorneys in Kentucky
At Bubalo Law PLC, we understand how painful the road to recovery can be. With years of experience representing slip-and-fall injury victims, we know how to build your claim, handle negotiations, and if needed, fight for you in court. If you were injured near Louisville or Lexington, our slip-and-fall attorneys can help you build your case. Let us put our knowledge and experience to work for you.
If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, and you have questions about your case, contact us for a free consultation. Contact us online today.