Fen Phen Lawsuit
In the 1990s, Fen-Phen became popular as a drug cocktail to suppress appetite and help people lose weight. While the combination of drugs may have helped some people drop pounds, published medical research indicated that it was associated with damage to heart valves. People who took the drugs have suffered serious complications including heart damage, pulmonary hypertension, and serious impairment of their lives.
At Bubalo Law PLC, our experienced attorneys are available to help those who took Fen-Phen and suffered health complications. We have the knowledge and resources to investigate your case and help you pursue full compensation for your injuries. Our firm has extensive experience fighting for Fen-Phen victims and winning. One of our partners, Gregory Bubalo, was part of a legal team that obtained a $3 million-dollar jury verdict for a victim who developed primary pulmonary hypertension caused by Fen-Phen.
At Bubalo Law PLC, we want to help people harmed by unsafe drugs seek justice. Our law firm is nationally recognized for our work on behalf of victims of unsafe drugs and medical devices. If you took Fen-Phen, we offer a free consultation about your case. Call 866-870-2489 or contact us online today.
What Is Fen-Phen?
Fen-Phen is a combination of two drugs: fenfluramine and phentermine. Fen-Phen was regularly prescribed in the 1990s and was used to aid weight loss and suppress appetite. Although both drugs individually were approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the combination of the two was not. American Home Products, now named Wyeth, manufactured the drug and shipped it around the country.
In April 1996, Wyeth also introduced dexfenfluramine (a drug marketed as Redux), a derivative of fenfluramine. The following year, the Mayo Clinic reported that 24 women using fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine developed valvular heart disease (VHD), a life-threatening condition. The FDA received similar reports from many hospitals. Medical professionals and researchers across the country began to document heart damage and hypertension in patients who took it.
The combination resulted in severe and lasting heart problems for many patients. Specifically, Fen-Phen caused damage to heart valves that led to primary pulmonary hypertension and reduced heart function. The valves damaged by Fen-Phen could leak and allow blood to trickle back past the value. Known as regurgitation, this is a serious condition that can weaken the heart and ultimately cause heart failure.
In 1997, the FDA asked the manufacturer to withdraw fenfluramine and dexfenfluramine from the market and recommended that consumers stop taking the drugs. It may take years for the side effects of Fen-Phen to be known. If you took Fen-Phen and have suffered heart or other medical problems as a result, contact a Fen-Phen injury attorney to review your case.
Fen-Phen Side Effects
Fen-Phen has numerous, well-documented side effects. These side effects include:
- Heart valve damage and regurgitation. Valves are essential to the heart’s operation. They allow blood to flow and prevent it from draining back into the heart’s chambers. Fen-Phen is known to damage heart valves. When this happens, the blood can drain the wrong way in the heart, leading to life-threatening complications.
- Hypertension is excessive blood pressure in your arteries. Over time this can lead to heart disease, strokes, and other life-threatening illnesses. Fen-Phen is known to cause primary pulmonary hypertension, which can cause long-term and serious damage to your heart and lungs.
- This is when the heart beats at an accelerated rate while you are at rest. In some cases, tachycardia can impair heart function and lead to heart attacks and stroke. Fen-Phen has been shown to cause tachycardia in some patients.
- Shortness of breath. When the heart is damaged, everything becomes more difficult. A damaged heart has to work harder at every task, which in turn can set it up for further damage or failure. Fen-Phen is known to cause heart damage and can cause shortness of breath, which can reduce your quality of life.
- Dizziness fatigue. Fen-Phen users have reported dizziness and fatigue in many cases. When the heart is damaged, it’s harder for the rest of the body to get the resources and energy it needs. Fen-Phen can damage the strength of the heart thereby reducing the victim’s overall energy levels and disrupting normal blood flow.
Fen-Phen Diet Pill Lawsuits
Fen-Phen has been the subject of numerous lawsuits since it was recalled. Victims have experienced severe side effects from using the diet pills and have pursued compensation in courts around the country.
In 2002, American Home Products (now Wyeth) settled a class action lawsuit related to some of the side effects related to Fen-Phen. The settlement provided for payments to individuals or families of patients who suffered VHD as a result of taking Fen-Phen.
The Nationwide Class Action Settlement Agreement with American Home Products (Wyeth) expressly did not resolve cases of Fen-Phen patients who suffered from primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH) as a result of taking fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine. People injured by Fen-Phen must file a lawsuit against the manufacturer to seek compensation.
If you have developed PPH or other related conditions and took Fen-Phen, you may have options to pursue compensation. The Fen-Phen injury attorneys at Bubalo Law PLC have continued to help clients who suffer from hypertension related to Fen-Phen. Our attorneys have successfully prosecuted Fen-Phen cases in court before a jury. A Fen-Phen lawyer can review your situation and advise you on legal options.
Fighting and Winning for Fen-Phen Victims
Fen-Phen can lead to serious health problems. If you took Fen-Phen and have suffered complications as a result, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. At Bubalo Law PLC, we’ve represented clients nationwide as they fight to get compensation for their Fen-Phen injuries. With years of experience and millions in jury verdicts for Fen-Phen victims, we know what it takes to build a winning case.
The side effects of Fen-Phen can take years to appear. If you or your family took Fen-Phen and have developed primary pulmonary hypertension or other complications, contact Bubalo Law PLC for a free consultation.
Call 866-870-2489 or use our online contact options. We are ready to fight for you.